CityArts Orlando to exhibit at Aqua Art Miami Fair December 4-8, 2019
November 17, 2019
Seven Orlando based artists were selected by a jury of Orlando Arts Leaders.
Orlando, FL (November 17, 2019) – Downtown Arts District and CityArts Orlando announce their participation in Aqua Art Miami, held during Miami Art Week December 4-8, 2019. The Aqua Art Miami fair accepts up to 50 art galleries to exhibit emerging and established artists from around the globe. Last year CityArts was selected in the top ten galleries at Aqua by BlouinArtinfo, a blog dedicated to arts, culture and luxury.
Barbara Hartley, the executive director of the Downtown Arts District said, “Four years ago, the Downtown Arts District Board of Directors agreed to invest in exhibiting Orlando based artists during Art Week Miami to expose local talent to an international audience of art collectors, artists and galleries. Over 60 Orlando artists applied to be considered for this year’s CityArts Orlando exhibition at Aqua.” The jury panel of arts leaders included: Flynn Dobbs, manager of the Grand Bohemian Gallery; Donna Dowless, Artist & Consultant; Shanon Fitzgerald, Executive Director of the Mennello of American Art; Patrick Greene, Curator & Artist; Alya Poplawsky, Director of A/K/ART; Hansen Mulford, Curator at Orlando Museum of Art and Tiffany Sanders, Principal, The Sanders Collective.
This year’s featured artists include: Clint Burbridge, Ericka Sobrack, Kelly Joy Ladd, KYLE, Mary Bel, PJ Svejda and SKIP.
- Clint Burbridge is a multi-disciplinary artist who currently lives and works in Florida. The full spectrum of his life’s work ranges from Contemporary Art to Commercial Art to Art Education, and includes digital design, 3D printing, woodworking, painting, drawing, and glassblowing. He earned his BFA with honors from Pratt Institute, in Drawing and Painting.
- Ericka Sobrack specializes in small and large-scale paintings portraying suburban domestic scenes of America in both acrylic and oil paint. Sobrack has participated in local, regional and national juried exhibitions. She graduated with a Masters of Fine Arts degree from the University of Central Florida.
- Kelly Joy Ladd is a self-taught artist who graduated from the University of Central Florida with a Liberal Studies degree with a focus in astronomy and creative writing. She channels her creative process through paper – ripping, cutting and folding it into visions of her meditations, and connecting her internal thoughts onto her art pieces incorporating the great wonders of the astronomical universe through name and form.
- KYLE is classically trained with a Master of Fine Arts, University of Cincinnati and a Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Central Florida. He constructs tableau with found and fabricated objects, which create their own kind of space. The constructions are a tactile way to express something. He likes to work with an idea, in both two and the three-dimensional projections
- Mary Bel is a fine art conceptual photographer. She creates images she sees in her mind, evoked through emotions as thought provoking self-portraits. She uses self-portraits to tell stories that come from being a highly sensitive person, aware and constantly in tune with her consciousness and the well-being of others. Being emotionally self-aware allows her to manifest her thoughts and energy in the form of art that looks dark, moody and painterly. She earned a Master of Arts in Humanities Science, Communications, and Media Studies and a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design and Photography at Fordham University.
- PJ Svejda received BA in Illustration and MA in Painting from Savannah College of Art and Design. Her love of animals and the lessons learned inspire her works. For every concept, she carefully researches specific breeds of plants to wildlife and how they interact. She pushes the envelope, juxtaposing controversial imagery with a classical and traditional style. Her paintings tell stories of pain and hope, and raise the viewer’s self-awareness into their own humanity; urging increased consciousness of the time we spend here on earth
- SKIP Orlando-based postmodern satirist and multi-disciplined artist/creator, SKIP, uses his brand Franchise Industries as a conceptual filter to present his ideas through various artistic mediums including – but not limited to – hand-cut stencils, wall murals, large-scale installations, carpentry, photography, music performance, illustration, and documentary filmmaking. SKIP studied music performance at University of Central Florida and Audio Engineering at Valencia College.
Aqua Art Miami is located at 1530 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL, 33139. Visit the CityArts Orlando exhibit at Aqua in room 109. For more information about the fair, visit www.aquaartmiami.com and https://bit.ly/2rFWcvf .
About CityArts Orlando
CityArts Orlando, the multi-use art and cultural destination in the historic Rogers Kiene Building in downtown Orlando, is managed and operated by the Downtown Arts District. There are six galleries and a café. Red Tape Orlando Gallery and Redefine Gallery are located in the building along with an artist in residency apartment. Established in 2000, the Arts District represents and serves the arts community through signature programming and public art projects. Comprised of a series of cultural communities, the Arts District encompasses the visual arts, literature, the performing arts including music, drama, film and dance, and arts and culture-related retail businesses. The Arts District is the producer of a series of mission-based events and programs to heighten visibility for the arts including the monthly 3rd Thursday Gallery Hop, annual themed arts celebrations La Maschera and Día de los Muertos, quarterly Orlando Story Club and much more.
About Aqua Art Miami
Aqua’s unique environment – in a classic South Beach hotel with spacious exhibition rooms that open onto a breezy, intimate courtyard – has become a favorite gathering spot for collectors, curators and art lovers to discover fresh talent and acquire new works while exchanging cultural ideas and forming meaningful connections. Aqua Art Miami will kick off with a VIP Preview on Wednesday, December 4 and open to the public December 5 – 8. It has become the premier destination for prominent collectors and art aficionados to procure works by young, emerging and mid-career artists.
MEDIA CONTACT: Barbara Hartley, Executive Director 407-415-9511, firstname.lastname@example.org